These meatballs are a delicious and slightly unique twist on a classic meatball recipe. Don’t worry though, they aren’t so unique that your kids won’t eat them! They were happily gobbled up by both of my tiny taste-testers!
This recipe utilizes one of my favorite low carb, gluten-free substitutes – chicharrones! Typical meatball recipes call for breadcrumbs or milk-soaked bread, but those ingredients just don’t jive with my way of eating! Chicharrones yield the same texture but without the gluten, dairy or carbs!
Ground up finely, chicharrones can be used in place of breading in any recipe. Incorporating ground pork rinds into my recipes has been a game changer for me! I use them in meatballs, chicken tenders, meatloaf, chicken parmesan, etc… You name it! It’s such a versatile ingredient.
One word of note – you definitely do not need as much salt in a recipe when you are using pork rinds since they typically have salt in them already.
These make for such great meal prep that can double as dinner and lunches throughout the week! My favorite way to eat these is to make my own bowl with cauliflower rice, feta, diced cucumbers, tomatoes and tzatziki sauce and harissa! Try and let me know what you think!
Greek Style Meatballs (low carb, keto, gluten-free, primal
An easy, delicious recipe that will change up your meatball game!
- 2 lbs ground lamb, or ground beef
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 yellow onion
- zest of 1 large lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, minced finely
- 1 bag (64g) pork rinds (only ingredients should be pork, salt)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Grind pork rinds in food processor or in bag by smashing/rolling with a rolling pin, wine bottle, or meat tenderizer. The goal is to get the pork rinds to resemble bread crumbs.
- Grate onion with a box grater onto a paper towel. Squeeze liquid from onion and discard liquid. Add onion to large bowl with eggs, zest, lemon juice, garlic, ground pork rinds, salt, oregano and marjoram. Mix thoroughly.
- Add ground lamb to mixture and mix with hands until well combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or your hands form mixture into golf ball sized meatballs and place evenly on baking sheet. You should have about 30-34 meatballs.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes until brown and cooked through.