As the weather is turning colder, I find myself wanting a little more heft and comfort in my dinners. But I don’t want to sacrifice my way of eating – and this recipe checks both of those boxes!
BONUS: It can be completely made in advance. Just before dinner, pop these bad boys in the oven and you’ll be ready to go in no time!
Both of my kids happily devour this. Annie’s is cut up mostly beyond recognition (she’s 17 months). Conor took some convincing to try this new “vehicle” but then he loved using his hands! It’s like an Italian sloppy joe! Even the skin can be eaten so the whole thing can be enjoyed like a sub! Although a fork and knife is definitely the cleaner option!
Delicata squash is lower carb, high in vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium and iron – no lasagna noodle can compare!
So if you’re looking for some comfort but want to stay on a healthy eating track (and maybe introduce a new and seasonal vegetable), then you have to try this recipe ASAP!
Lasagna Stuffed Delicata Squash
A nutrient dense take on a comforting classic
- 2 – medium sized delicata squash (yellow with green or orange stripes)
- 1 tbsp. avocado or light olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 recipe of weeknight bolognese (1 lb. grass fed ground beef or turkey browned in skillet then add 1 jar of clean marinara sauce and season with parm and/or salt to taste)
- 1 cup of organic shredded mozzarella
- 2 tsp. dried oregano (or Italian seasoning)
- parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
- optional nutrient booster – baby spinach
- (Also your PLAN AHEAD): slice delicata lengthwise and remove seeds; drizzle oil on top, sprinkle with salt and place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet; roast at 400 degrees for 7-8 minutes – the skin should be just slightly soft and easily pierced with a paring knife; and if assembling ahead of time complete steps 1 through 5 and refrigerate until ready to cook!
- Increase oven temp to 500 degrees.
- Remove delicata from oven, flip over and allow to cool.
- (if adding baby spinach, line the cavity of the delicata with spinach leaves)
- Spoon bolognese mixture into cavity until full. (you will have bolognese leftover!)
- Top with mozzarella cheese and oregano.
- Bake until warmed through and cheese is melty and lightly browned/bubbly – about 5 more minutes
- Sprinkle with parm and allow to cool for 5 minutes before digging in!
Don’t be afraid to eat with your hands! The skin of delicata can be eaten along with everything else like a sub! But a knife and fork work too!