Last Friday, I got home from a loooong week of work. My oldest was having a playdate and the other boy’s father ended up staying for an impromptu dinner. We started chatting in the kitchen and I began cooking up whatever was left in the fridge or pantry. And we had this giant stalk of brussels sprouts sitting on our counter. You know the ones that are ominously piled high in bins at Trader Joe’s right about now?
So I just started chopping and got them in the oven with some diced pancetta that I always keep in the freezer.
Then I forgot about them. Crap.
I could smell them almost burning. So I ran to rescue them – and, believe it or not, they were perfect. Tender, brown and that holy grail of brussels sprouts – crispy-soft. But something was missing if I was going to serve this as an app. So I added some clean buffalo sauce, because it’s the best. But they were a tad too spicy. Then I added some grated sheep’s milk pecorino while they were still piping hot. And BAM! Brussels sprout perfection! Crispy bits of pancetta, the salty/sweet of the pecorino, the spicy tang of the buffalo and the pungent sprouts … what’s not to love? These were gobbled up in a flash with a request from my husband to make them again, pay attention next time and write it up. So here we are.
An easy, healthy, appetizer that is low carb, full of fiber and super crowd-pleasing!
Buffalo Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Pancetta and Pecorino
Easy, crowd-pleasing appetizer that you would never know was good for you!
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, halved (or quartered if large)
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1/3-1/2 cup diced pancetta (omit if vegetarian)
- 1/4 cup clean bufflao sauce (Tessemaes or Frank’s)
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino (more if cheese is your thing!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss brussels sprouts with avocado oil and spread evenly on rimmed sheet pan.
- Spread diced pancetta over top of the brussels sprouts.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes until crispy, browned and delicious. You may want to toss halfway, but if you forget about them like I did, that’s cool, too.
- Remove from oven and toss with buffalo/hot sauce and sprinkle with pecorino cheese. Toss lightly.
- Enjoy immediately!
TIP: These would probably be divine with a clean ranch to dip in as well. Obviously, Tessemae’s ranch is my favorite.